[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: education

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 23:36:10 -0500

Any educational event can be listed in the Events Calendar portion of
the Gazette, and most usually are.
There are also a lot of small, regional judges' groups around the
country and some of those have had local breeders present educational
programs on the GSD, as well as other breeds.
    While it is not necessary to have a parent club approved presenter,
many parent clubs have a way of approving individuals within the club to
give "approved" seminars...this helps to ensure that prospective judges
are being told the same things no matter where they live...not all
judges and would-be judges can afford to spend a week at one of the AKC
(or other group-sponsored) seminars...many of the local judges' groups
programs are accepted by AKC as proof the judge applicant has attended a
seminar on the breed.
    Attendance at specialty shows is encouraged...and I remember judging
a specialty in California with two judges present who were preparing to
apply for the breed.  I spoke to them briefly, just to be polite, becaue
I knew them...and they were horrified at the extreme angles on the
dogs.  At the time, they were about ready to submit their applications,
too............so whatever they'd been doing, it hadn't impressed them
at all.  They had their own ideas about what the GSD should look like
and those ideas weren't about to change.
Peggy