[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: dumbing down, etc

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:23:26 -0700 (PDT)

Penney, having worked in Law-enforcement most of my adult life, you are 100%
correct, the break-down of the American family, and parents not taking
responsibility for raising their children  with positive cultural values is
really what the main problem is, Vick is just one of too many examples of
this...I grew up in East Oakland...an all black community, went to a school
that was 99% black and everybody was poor. But I had a dad that believed
education was the best way to improve your circumstances, he gave me an offer I
couldn't refuse...if I didn't get good grades in school he'd make my life a
living hell....hated him back then, love him to death today...sorry to go off
topic, but these issues affect everyone...Ed
Penny & Bill <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:   If
Vick is guilty ( and I think he is) he's not guilty because of the hip-hop
culture or rap music. If Vick is guilty he's guilty because his judgment is
poor and he has no empathy or compassion for animals in general and dogs in
specific. Vick's actions don't speak for hip hoppers, rappers, or black
athletes...his actions speak for himself...just like yours speak for you and
mine speak for me...Edwin Bernard Hill
***********************************
Exactly!! If we must play the "blame-game", then I say the blame goes to those
parents, white or black, who seem to instill NO morality or honesty in their
kids, who ALLOW those kids to hang out on streetcorners (and get into trouble),
who don't even know where their kids ARE and don't even have one meal (a day)
together with them.
I am showing my age by saying these things, but I believe that American Family
is in trouble and it "ain't" because of "gangsta" and "hip-hop."
I teach literature to high school students and I see it every day. I give those
kids hugs, care for them, even give them money--because many of their parents
just don't. It boggles my mind when I wonder why those parents wanted kids in
the first place. Like our dogs, these kids are precious gifts, our future.
I'm off the bandwagon. Adios!
Penny in NY