[ SHOWGSD-L ] doubling with other animals

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:43:06 +0000

>IT'S AGAINST THE RULES TO DOUBLE AT ALL...and while we all
>do it, most of us try to be fairly inconspicuous...we don't drag cats
>and kittens to ringside at all breed shows and at specialties to make
>our dogs show better, all the while making the rest of the GSD fancy
>look like idiots and fools.

I happen to know that this is a very well loved cat, and while using the cat to
double wasn't smart, I don't think it was any more cruel than what we (the
fancy) did with the dogs that VERY HOT AND HUMID day.  It wasn't kind to have
any animal out in that heat.  That's why I don't go to those shows.  I went
once a number a years ago and the heat was unbearable - particularly for my
northern New England dogs.

I wonder why we didn't have the same outrage when a very well known all-breed
handler routinely dragged bitches in season to ringside to double his special.
That practice certainly stirs up the males in the ring and interfered with my
young dog's performance more than once.

I do think a lesson was learned and that this cat scenario won't happen again.

Laurie