[ SHOWGSD-L ] dogs lost during shipment

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:08:48 -0500

Hi Everyone,
I just got back from Westminister and I have to say the line up was beautiful.
The Scottish Deerhound was a superb mover.  Thrilling to watch.  The judge for
the Hound Group was sitting next to me and we had great conversation about
movement.
I just want to make a few comments about shipping dogs, crates etc as we do
this so much.
I have to say I am appalled by some of the crates in which dogs are shipped.  I
was on the side of the aircraft and just above the door where the dogs were off
loaded.  An OES was in a crate that was so bad I was just holding my breath the
crate would hold together until the dog was at least on the ground.  He was
whirling in the crate and rocking it back and forth and had it turned over he
would have been another loose dog.  Many crates are advertised as 'AIRLINE
APPROVED" in the pet shops and they are simply not safe.  We will not ship dogs
in certain kinds of crates.  The ones that are held together by a plastic snap
bar on either side are so off balance they will turn over at the drop of a hat.
 We simply will not ship our clients dog/cats in at least 3 types of crates.  I
do not understand why show people will  put their dogs in crates that are the
cheapest kind they can buy.
The airlines are then blamed for the escape of these dogs, their only other
option is to refuse the shipment and then they are scorned for the refusal.
People there are 60, 000 live animals shipped  a MONTH in and out of the
country.   If you look at the stats, lost dogs are 98% due to improper crating.
 If professional shippers can get dogs/cats, goats etc to Saudi, Korea
Ireland etc. than there is a safe method.  Please do not ship your dogs in
unsafe crates. Many of the manufacturers are producing cheap crates for the
almight $.  Do not be fooled by the signs "Airline Approved"
Nancy