[ SHOWGSD-L ] dogs and flying bugs

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx, RckyIizard@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, amergsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

I had a GSD, the first after my marriage, that chased one till it turned around
on him and got him in the testicles!!!!!  We were camping, and he took to
standing in the creek for relief from the heat and swelling. Fortunitely, or
strangely, one of his vet's was at this same event.  She gave me what she
could, and we got him home.  It took 3 weeks for him to completely recover.
Then I neutered him so it would not happen again!
  sheila
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx wrote:

First of all, I want to again thank everyone again for their very kind
thoughts and concern when my Ivan crossed the Bridge. It meant so much that so
many
knew what I was going through, and cared, and sent their condolences. I tried
to write you all back with at least a thank you but if I have missed anyone,
I'm sincerely sorry...I had so very many sympathy notes, and I haven't been
functioning very well.

Apparently, with nothing showing on necropsy except fluid in his lungs, his
cause of death may well have been anaphylaxis--a severe allergic reaction, for
instance, to a bee sting. He loved to snap bees out of the air, and had never
ever had any bad reaction at all to their stings. He'd simply spit the stinger
out and go find another to chase.

It was definitely NOT heat-related, there was no evidence of that on necropsy
or in his environment at all.

Many of you have asked his age, he was only 5 years old...he would have been
6 in October.

Thank you all again for your condolences and kind thoughts.

Rest in Peace my buddy...there will never be another like you.

Liz in Utah

Visit my website at http://hometown.aol.com/rckyiizard/index.html
__._,_.___

LIZ: We all share your sorrow at this tragic unexpected death... of your
Beautiful Boy, Ivan..
I have personally had two Anaphylactic Shock reactions, both times to
medications, and both times I was in the Hospital being treated , so I had
immediate aid... Absolutely vital in such an instance for survival..

I also am always terribly concerned with the Bees and Hornets and Wasps
around here.. My Nero has always gone after them with a vengence leaping in the
air to snag them and then pawing at them on the ground, and then eating
them... I have done everything I know to stop it, but he is 'On a Mission" when
he
spots one!!

Some dogs just seem to have a propensity for 'Bad Buggie Killing' as I
call it, and little can be done to control or stop it.
I had a close friend who lost her Shepherd Boy due to being stung in the
throat, when he half-killed one and swallowed it, and was stung in the throat,
which swelled shut and he died..

We use traps here and everything we can think of, but you can't stop
them...Our Black and Yellow Meat Bees, Wasps or Hornets or whatever they are
called, are attracted by the smell of food, Human or Canine or Cat and come out
in droves to eat..

We must all be vigilant and do the best we can to keep the population
down..This is the Season!!! .They can be very dangerous to humans who are at
risk,
especially to those who are allergic to Bee Stings and those who get stung too
many times and in significant life-threatening places, like the throat,
mouth, etc.

I know i speak for all of us on this List, in extending our Deepest Sympathy
.Barb Williams

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.