[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: dog steals truck?????

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:01:34 -0500

Having to have the foot on the brake to shift into gear is all well and fine
IF your transmission linkage is perfectly aligned.  Over time, wear and tear
will take their toll on these parts and they will also fail.

Most cars these days come with an option that seems to be rarely used in
these parts.  It's called an Emergency Brake.  If it isn't used each time
you park a vehicle (and I've noticed that 95% of people don't use - these
figures are from when we were in towing) , said brake will seize up and be
useless when you do need it.  So set it each time you park your vehicle and
the problem will be solved.
30 Years ago, I parked my 69 Polara on top of hill with the wheels correctly
turned in to the 'curb', put it in Park, turned the key off, removed it  and
locked the car.  When I returned, I too thought my vehicle had been stolen.
We later found it at the bottom of the hill in a ditch still locked, still
in Park.  What had happened is that over time, the Park switch had rounded
off and while the indicator showed Park on the steering wheel, the
transmission itself was just on the edge of slipping into gear.  This
allowed the torque converter just enough slippage to allow the dead weight
of the car pulling it downhill to push the lever out of Park and into a
neutral zone between Park & Reverse allowing the car to roll forward.  I was
very lucky in that it rolled into the ditch and not onto Highway 69 N.
Emergency brakes are a safety feature that only work if they're engaged.  I
haven't found a dog yet that can release one.  (But then again, my shepherds
are smart enough to stay in the back seat).
Mary-Anne