[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: dog food recalls

  • From: "LEE" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lfossland@xxxxxxx>, <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <dan-ann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:31:35 -0500

What you are discussing is called "private label" manufacturing. This is
often done by manufacturers who have additional capacity for manufacturing
beyond what they need for their own labels/brands. There are also companies
that manufacture nothing under their own labels, but manufacture for other
companies. This is very common for pet food and human food.

When a company goes into a private label agreement, the company buying from
the manufacturer has a couple of options. One is to use the formulas for the
products the manufacturer produces, if it is allowed and is not a protected
formulation. The other option is to contract with the manufacturer to
develop a formulation that meets the client's needs (high quality, organic,
no grains, cheap or cheapest). The third option and most common is to find a
manufacturer to make the product according the the client's specifications.

In this case, Costco contracted with Diamond to make the pet for them using
their (Costco's) recipe.

This is also the reason it is not a good idea to judge the quality of a
specific food based on what the manufacturer produces under their own label.
On the other hand, I would not place much stock in a food that claimed to be
made with "human grade meats under the best sanitary conditions," if the
food was being made in a plant known for producing the least expensive food
available. And, if I wanted to market my famous organic liver treats, I
would look for a company that already manufacturers high quality organic pet
foods.

Lee Smith