[ SHOWGSD-L ] dog bite in Ft Myers, Fl

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:06:01 -0800 (PST)

On local Miami news.  A dog bit a Girl Scout while selling cookies to the dog's
owner.  The owner claims the dog was protecting and that the girl irratated the
dog.

  A lesson for us all.  We are responsible for our dog's behavior.  If you have
a dog that is prone to serious protecting, keep it away from your front door
when Girl Scouts come around.  Is that really so hard?

  The dog has bitten before.  So the owner has not learned her lesson,
apparently.

  I know my dogs want to protect me.  I take great care introducing them to new
people so that there is no doubt about how I feel about my expectations of my
dogs' behavior.  And over the past 6 months there were plenty of new people has
my kitchen was remodeled.

  I watch my dogs even with people they know.  I always expect the unexpected.
Hence, other than 2 near bites, I did catch her before she could latch on, my
dogs have never threatened anyone.  Both incidents were when men moved in what
could easily be percieved as a threat to me directly.  I knew better and
stopped my dog.  No one has ever been hurt by my dogs.

  By the same token, I have used my GSD's protectivness to ward off people I
was not comfortable with.  Very effective.

  I love my dogs and will not allow them to compromise themselves in any way.

  Liddy was gentle with my nephew last night, and slurped my mother-in-law when
she presented her face for a quick wash.  Her behavior was above reproach, and
she is 1 week from whelping.  She could be far less friendly right now, and be
justified.

  While I do have some noisey dogs and that alone can make even me unhappy, I
know I need to observe them in order to trust them.

  The dog that bit appears to be a Golden Chow cross, by the picture.  But it
could be a lot of other crosses.

  We are responsible for our dogs' behavior, something worth remembering!
  Sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training