[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: dog attack whos at fault

  • From: Amytortoise@xxxxxxx
  • To: GSDLady28@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:33:46 EDT

Hi Maggie,
                         I need to say one little thing here. Akitas were not
bred to fight. They were  originally bred as guard dogs to protect their
owners. in Japan. Their  temperament comes in two types, guardy and friendly.
You
are right you do have  to handle them differently than lets say a Lab or a
GSD. They can be very dog  aggressive but not usually aggressive towards people
unless there is a reason.  In this case the dog was going after another dog and
this poor lady got in the  way. And like you say when they get into the
fighting mode it is hard to turn  them off.....any breed of dog. My two males
got
into a fight a couple of years  ago. I broke them up and took Harley by the
collar and dragged him into the  bedroom and closed to door, came out to make
sure that the other guy was OK.  Then went back to check Harley. He was the one
who started it. I opened the  bedroom door . He looked me right in the eyes and
growled at me. Now this is a  dog that I have had for eight years at that
point. He was just really worked up.  I walked over to him, picked him up by
each
side of his neck, shook him and said  you have aboutH 30 seconds to calm down
son! The dog rescue that I work  with sometimes took in an Akita about six
months ago. The reason she was turned  over to the rescue was that she was
asleep in her own house in the kitchen.  There was a guest staying in the
house. he
cane into the kitchen and leaned over  her to get something and she bit him
in the face. Have you ever heard of ..let  sleeping dogs lie. This was really
stupid on his part. Anyway she was three  years old and her owner turned her
over to rescue. My friend who has been  breeding Akita's for twenty years came
over and evaluated her and said this dog  is totally adoptable. She is one of
the sweetest Akitas I think I have ever  seen. She is in a great home now. The
person who had this dog at the dog show  was totally at fault, she knew that
the dog was aggressive and she needs to face  some kind of charges. But I
believe that part of the blame rests with the rescue  people who obviously did
not
have a clue and this dog should never have been  placed. Some dogs just do not
have a place on this earth.
Amy Greenhut