[ SHOWGSD-L ] do dogs have memories

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:42:09 -0800 (PST)

I loved all these stories.  I have many like yours and we all know our dogs
have memories.  But other breeds are not all the same.  Some do and some don't.
 Some memories in some dogs, regardless of breed, are limited.

  And I promise no dog, including ours, remembers what we would like them to
remember, or worse, they remember but don't care.

  I see dogs completely rewrite their own existence with what I call training
in the time I am at the home, a whole new set of memories to build from.  And I
see dogs that clearly will get the picture, if it is repeated often enough and
the old and considered to be bad habits are dropped entirely, things get better
with time.

  I see dogs who know I am just visiting and so they just don't care about what
I have to say, and the owners are not strong enough to do what needs to be
done, the dogs win.

  I tell my clients, they do remember, mostly through repetition, and some
through what we think of as memory.  But they will not remember what you want
when you want them to or for the reseaon you want them to remember it.

  Amber, the Pharaoh Hound knows me, remembers me, and is clearly too bright
with too good a memory.  She knows what day of the week it is and when to
expect me.

  I am having to be inconsistent about taking her so she does not expect me.  I
don't like being expected by a dog.  Just does not sit right with my alpha
nature.  This is too much memory!!!!!
  sheila
http://mail.yahoo.com