[ SHOWGSD-L ] do bicolors produce larger saddles?

  • From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:18:27 -0700 (PDT)

School is over, and I am back with my usual questions.  Thanks to those of you
who always answer my questions, and for those who don't, answer them anyway,
even with a crude remark.  I crave attention now that my students are gone, and
as we know from dog training, negative attention is better than no attention :)
Anyway, bear with me please, I am very excited.  After a few litters I have
learned a few things I probably could have learned from tests, but that
wouldn't have been much fun.

Chopper carries for coat, and as is, the first breeding was to a dam who did as
well.  I did not know because I did not ask.  I asked the next two times, but
both were maidens so who knew.

Second, Chop carries for bicolor. Found that out in the second litter.  I'm
thrilled about that. Because of the discussion about black spots on the tongue,
that made me wonder.

Now I've heard that dos who carry for coat may produce more plush puppies.
I've also read that it's possible that the bicolor is not a separate color, but
is on the same locus (sp?) that determines how much saddle a dog has.  Also
that if a sable carries for black, it will be a darker sable.

Is is plausible to conclude that dogs who carry black or bicolor produce
puppies that have larger saddles (blankets).

Also, there were other puppies there that had tar heels, and pencilling, but
they were clearly not bicolor.  Does this mean anything?

Once again, thanks to anyone who answers my questions.  I am clearly learning
all I can from these discussions.

Denise W.
The Good Ole Boys~Chopper and Chase
http://www.showgermanshepherds.info