[ SHOWGSD-L ] disposable? necessarily long

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:06:56 -0700 (PDT)

Lets see...the excuses run the gamut from a sudden children's allergy, to "we
are moving",
a new husband/wife/boyor girlfriend doesnt like dogs, new job and no
time....the list
is endless.
Let me tell you how I see this.
Someone gets it in their head that a new puppy would fix the ills in their
house. Maybe
they are having communication problems...the hubby is having a mid life
crisis...the teen
agers no longer need you...the little ones SOOO want that cute puppy. A person,
giving
no more thought to the concern they made when purchasing a new HAT goes out and
purchases a living, breathing creature with the ability to form STRONG
attachments,
grieve, fear and die. They play with the puppy for awhile. Its amusing when its
small.
Maybe they even keep it for 6 months...a year...two years. Then life throws
them a
curve ball and suddenly they have to "get rid of" the dog! LORD how I hate that
phrase! Don't make an effort to find an apartment that will ACCEPT your furred
family member...don't enroll the dog into doggy day care so that maybe they
will not
be so wound up at the end of the day...don't hire a dog walker so the dog gets
toilet while you are at work/tennis/the club/out with friends...NOPE. Just
discard
the dog without so much as a backward glance or the concern as to where he/she
may land. How about as a BAIT DOG? We have seen this more than I care to know!
One poor GSD was chained to the ground with no water/food in the hot sun...
every bone in her body had suffered injury...her hips were shot...her ears were
torn from the dogs used to train on her...Or how about "giving her to a good
home",
where she is NAILED into a dog house because she barked too much only to die
an agonzing death? Hmmm...oh HERES a good one. "I'll just take her to the local
shelter. She'll find a good home!" ...and what they DON'T see is as they are
walking
out the door, after leaving behind a dog who has given you EVERYTHING...that dog
is being walked into a gas chamber or being put on a table and euthanized
because you
see, owner surrenders do not have to be held for the required 3 days. They can
be
killed immediately. And often are; especailly the larger breeds.
Up until recently in one state, anything over 25 pounds was sold to the
laboratories for testing.
Having done this, even if on the periphery, I have seen the worst of mans
inhumanity
to animals. Of dogs starved nearly to death, still breathing and thrown down a
trash chute...injured dogs unable to walk,still in their CARTS left in houses
as he
people moved away...puppies left to die an agonizing death in crates with no
food
 or water (God speed Noel)...a tiny puppy left on the side of the road standing
guard
over her sister who was now at the bridge having been hit by a car, crawling
with
 fleas and maggots...rhuemy eyed trying to climb into a passerby's car when a
good samaritan stopped and opened their door...
I realize I have not written in awhile. We have been quietly helping those who
have
contacted us; either by networking the dog in question or with whatever donation
we can manage. Times are tough...people are feeling the pinch...and so are we.
Please remember all those who sit silently waiting...if you have the ability to
foster,
PLEASE consider doing so. It could very well mean the difference between life
and death for a German Shepherd who did nothing to ask for the situation he now
finds himself in. If you have extra blankets, towels, dog dishes...please
contact
either your local rescue or the animal shelter. Many of the shelters ARE
working hard
to provide the best they can for the animals in their care. Due to budget cuts,
they
are finding it harder and harder. Food donations are down drastically and many
rescues
are nearly out. When this happens, they have to rely on donations to purchase
food
at full price! When you are feeding 10 or so dogs, the cost is prohibitive.
Before you place that puppy you bred into someones arms, ask yourself this
question..."am I prepared to take this puppy back for the entirety of its life
if this
placement does not work". Write it into your contracts as a right of first
refusal and
keep in touch with your puppy people. Demand that they have made an appointment
with a puppy kindergarten before the puppy leaves your hands, and if they
work...
that someone will either be home to accomodate that puppys needs or they will
 take the pup to a day care. Call the facilities to be certain!  Just in doing
these
few steps, it may ensure that IF they ever find they "have to get rid of the
dog"...
they may contact you...and that sweet puppy YOU bred will not end its life
at the end of a
catch pole, in a gas chamber or on a cold steel table.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Dawn
Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.
LHSH.org (note new website)