[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: danger of wearing a collar

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lfossland@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:53:20 -0400

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:58:10 -0700, "Liane Fossland"
<lfossland@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I've had a bad experience years ago with 2 of my dogs
>who wore leather collars. Canines of one dog caught in
>the other's collar, twisted, and almost strangled one to
>death. Saved both by cutting the collar.

ARRGGGHHH!!! I have a personal story to tell regarding
collars. It's not just dogs who can be hurt. People can as
well!!

A couple of years ago, when our setter puppy was about
11 months old, I was trying to get him out the door to
potty. We had just returned home and we knew he'd have
to go pee. He was very happy to see us and jumping around
like a goof, as young dogs will. I took him by his collar
to lead him to the door at which point, he jumped again
and twisted around in the air. Suddenly, the 4 fingers of
my right hand (I'm right-handed) were twisted and trapped
in his collar. Feeling the sudden, snug sensation, the dog
panicked and twisted AGAIN, putting an impossibly tight
twist into his collar and down onto my fingers. There were
scissors in the drawer next to me. I grabbed them, but I
couldn't have used them safely or effectively with my left
hand and a dog who was now fighting for his life. I yelled
frantically for my husband who was outside in the yard
with the other 2 dogs, but he couldn't hear me. I finally
dragged the puppy out onto the deck and DH came running
to help. At this point, the poor dog was collapsing to the
deck and my fingers were starting to lose sensation. I'm
yelling "CUT THE COLLAR!!" but it was so tight around my
fingers and the pup's neck, that he couldn't get it under.
At this point, both the dog and I are starting to
seriously be in trouble. Hubby finally figured out the
direction he needed to go and he lifted the pup and
physically untwisted him enough that I could pull my
fingers out and that instantly released the constriction
and allowed the pup to breathe again.

Luckily, the puppy suffered no ill physical or mental
effects by any of this. And my fingers are also as well.
But this situation could have gone badly in so many ways.
Those collars came off all 3 of our dogs that day and
have never returned. Collars are for training and walking
or for dogs under direct supervision... PERIOD!! I will
NEVER keep one on any of my house dogs again!

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx