[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: culling off-colors....

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:33:53 -0700 (PDT)

The practice of culling imperfect is how this breed was started by von
Stephanitz.  I recall reading several times many years ago that he held the
breed to a high standard and the breed wardens of today in Germany are the
legacy of the breed's foundation.

  But we live in the US and we can choose to cull or not to cull.  I do not go
nuts when a newborn does not come up quickly.  But I had the patience to wait
for Sissy to learn to walk when I know some were thinking she needed to be put
down.

  She does just fine in her own slow thinking way.  But she will always be my
Sissy dog.

  And Bertha looked deformed for a long time.  He hip structure was higher on
one side than the other, her ribs were flat on one side and barrelled on the
other.  Now she looks like great foundation stock for a kennel.

  Bucko always looked like he would rule the world.  But his pasturns never
went up.  The diagnoses of lupus explained that.  He is stable.

  sheila
Laurie Pruett <pruett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  >I had a puppy born with 4 white feet an a blaze. Shocked the heck out of
>me...she wasn't hard to sell at all, in fact she went to the nephew of a BIS
>judge. He had his choice of three, two black and tan bitches and the one I
>called "Bootsie". I told his Aunt she was an off color, no one cared and NO I
>didn't reduce the price either. But cull her...OMG never.

I, too, had a puppy years ago with white feet (never before, never since - go
figure). She was the first to go out of the litter. When I've had blues they
also have been easy to sell to good homes (one of my blue puppies went to the
president of New England Telephone). I can't bring myself to cull anything that
isn't "perfect" as long as the puppy can be placed into a responsible home and
live a good life. That includes the occasional elbow puppy (I do the surgery,
then give the puppy to a good home) and the occasional mega puppy - as long as
they can keep food down and are growing well, I give them to a good home. (on
spay neuter contracts, of course).

As far as I'm concerned, dealing responsibly and humanely with the problems
that can crop up in our breed is part and parcel of being a responsible
breeder. Off-colors are the least of any problem a breeder can have. And, as to
the OFA discussion, to me it is a tool to be used in selecting breeding
partners. I don't believe it should be used to eliminate animals from breeding
programs. The worse elbows I ever saw were produced by two animals with OFA
"normal" elbows. I've gotten terrible hips out of an OFA excellent bitch bred
to an OFA good sire. I've used a bitch with one hip that was OFA mild who never
produced a hip problem in her lifetime. I need to be informed as to hip and
elbow status when making breeding decisions but I don't need to be told that
the animal can't be used in my breeding program.

Laurie Pruett
Windy Acres

photos & more.