[ SHOWGSD-L ] cropping, docking

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 10:01:39 -0700

Penny writes...

I tend to agree with Barb Williams regarding cropping and docking.  I
COULDN'T do it to any of our creatures.  I am glad that our breed is born
"au natural", although there are those who dye, drug, fix tails, implant
teeth, fix ears--and I don't understand THAT.

Paul opines...

The problem with this situation is the emotionality of it all. Many on "Da
List" have given serious and accurate justification for cropping and docking
when it comes to their working. Some disagree for their own reasons but I
would ask you Penny...if you had a GSD born with rear dew claws would you
have them removed?

This issue and others like it were not chosen by the ARO's by chance. It
creates a schism between people who agree that dogs are wonderful, good ones
should continue to be bred, and our sport should remain in existence. They
know they can count on the emotionality of the issue to promote their even
more sinister agenda.

Plank 10 of the Animal Rights Agenda is "To abolish the breeding of all
companion animals...especially purebred or pedigreed dogs and cats!" That's
with or without docked ears or tails.

This issue should be addressed in one way only and that's leaving emotions
on the dock as the ship sets sail. If people would prefer to show a natural
eared Dobe or Dane...it's perfectly OK. If that catches on...fewer people
would dock or crop and then the practice might stop...but that should be the
choice of those breeders...not us or the ARistas who are throwing the s*#t
on the wall hoping it sticks.

We own our animals. We treat them with kindness and good care as good animal
welfarists should. If the ARO's get their way by getting more and more of
the laws and ordinances passed...we won't be owning anything...let alone
showing them.

MSN stands for Mandatory Spay & Neuter. Right now...the ARO's are
incrementally going after pet dogs and cats and offering breeders,
exhibitors, and owners of working breeds a pass. It's called the ARO "Rope A
Dope" tactic and guess who are the dopes? After MSN becomes common practice
they'll come back for you. Do any of you remember my post "They Came For The
Trapper"?

They came for the trapper but I did not trap and I did nothing.
They came for the hunter but I did not hunt and I did nothing.
They came for the fisherman but I did not fish and I did nothing.
They came for Researcher who used animals to create cures for making but
what could I do...nothing.
They came for the farmer who grows animals for food but I was powerless and
did nothing.
Then...they came for me...the dog breeder/exhibitor who hurts no one...I
turned and looked for someone to help me fight this horrible injustice...but
they were all gone. There was no one left.

I'll tell you all right now...and they're using the same tactics in SB 1132
by setting numbers they will challenge later...if you let the ARO's succeed
you can kiss your wonderful dogs goodbye. AND I DO MEAN TO SHOUT HERE...IT'S
COMING A WHOLE LOT SOONER THAN LATER IF YOU DON'T JOIN IN THE FIGHT AGAINST
THEM.

Paul