[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: critiques and fall out

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx" <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>, "edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "janandmort@xxxxxxx" <janandmort@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:47:20 -0800 (PST)

A critique can be a useful tool in more ways than one. It will make the judge
accountable. It can be a learning tool for both the novice and the experienced
person. However the critique should be uniformed in that it covers; structure,
temperament, movement and any faults that should be noted. This should be
applied to each dog. Some of the critiques that had appeared in the Review
years ago would comment about the 1st place dog and then the remaining ones had
comments such as " wasn't as nice as or didn't move as or whatever to the 1st
place dog. What I would like to hear is the whys. When I see a dog spook or has
trouble being approached, what made the dog earn the 1st place over the others
or the dead-tail, how did that dog get 1st.
There has been so many discussions on here concerning breed improvement but
until someone steps up and starts taking action and being accountable it will
only remain discussion. What good is a dog that can move around a ring but
drops dead at 4, but only after producing progeny? A knowledgeable breeder
knows what issues they have in their line and the lines they go to. A caring
breeder knows when to stop breeding those issues.

None of this will happen over night, but change is needed. Accountability is
needed in all aspects of the dog world. Three key areas I see would be the stud
dog owner, refuse the bitch that shouldn't be bred to your male because of
gentic incapatibilty, the breeder , breed as if each litter was staying with
you forever, as a judge you were selected by the people to evaluate the dogs
that come before you as a whole in comparison to the standard, be able to
justify your decisions.

Change is good, without change things become stagnet and eventually die.

JMO
Lyn Chernak