[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: critiques

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "carolyn mckenna" <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:05:16 -0500

Carolyn,
You put this so well. Some ARE most gifted than others when it comes to the
formal critique.  But, most knowledgeable judges can tell an owner or the
handler, in their own words,  the reasons for their placements.  In many cases
I tell the handler why I placed their dog/bitch 2nd, 3rd, or 4th particularly
when the handler appears disturbed. Several years ago at a large Specialty
following a Futurity, a very well known handler informed me that  I was the
only judge that had not placed this dog first in his class (18 Months).  Owner
was REALLY UPSET on the outside of the ring. I replied I could not buy the
rear, and did he not see it? .  The handler replied yes, he knew, but that all
the other judges put the dog up and therefore I must be wrong, and he meant in
the eyes of the owner.    When I say the owner was upset that is putting it
mildly.