[ SHOWGSD-L ] crates and puppies

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:32:49 EDT

My Dallas/Cassie puppies were first in a big wire crate together at  2-3
weeks old.  I started out putting them in there just to get them out  to a "new
location".  We moved on from there and I crated them  together and then in
pairs
off and on throughout the day for weeks.  By the  time they were 8 weeks old,
I would rotate where they slept between my kids'  rooms, the laundry room,
and my room.  I also took individual puppies (from  2 weeks up) with me when I
was running errands, so they were all  VERY used to riding in the car.  They
had ALL slept alone, eaten  alone, been on leash, been in crates in the car,
(oh, yes, and herded ducks, too  :-) ) etc., numerous times before they went to
their new homes.

Julie Degen

In a message dated 4/28/2006 4:41:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Msg: #5  in digest
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:31:13 -0400
From: Barbara Galasso  <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Crate training

Hey everyone:   I wanted to know when (for those of you who use it),
first start to crate  your puppies?  I'm talking about for them to sleep
overnight in  it.  As I recall, I used to start my puppies sleeping in
their crates  at 8 weeks.  It was a very rare occasion if they soiled
their  crate.  They went from an indoor run to their own crate.  That's
the only time they were ever in a crate unless they were going to a dog
show.  Thanks,  Barbara

Julie  Degen
ejdegen@xxxxxxx
www.caissonkennels.com

Dogs are not our  whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger  Caras