[ SHOWGSD-L ] crate sizes

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 00:13:45 EDT

I fly my dogs a lot.  NOT by choice, but because of where we  live.  When
we lived in Europe, I had a bitch who was less than 24 inches  and about 65
lbs.  She always flew in a 400 crate until the crate arrived  in Frankfurt
once EMPTY (talk about panic!) and she arrived a few minutes later  in a 500.
They had taken her OUT of her crate and put her in a larger  crate.  She
was accepted in the U.S. (Minneapolis/St. Paul) in her 400  crate, but
somewhere along the way, someone thought she needed a bigger crate  and put her
in
a larger "loaner" crate!

We now live in Korea.  I have a 23 1/2 inch bitch who travels in my  van in
a 400 crate perfectly comfortable.  HOWEVER, I've had airline agents  want
her in a 500 crate.  Since it costs the same and the flights that I  take
all accept the 500 crate, I done arguing with them about it.  She  flies in a
500.  My male GSD is just under 26 inches.  He is very  comfortable in a 500
crate, but I've actually gotten height extensions for his  crate because of
too many arguments with check-in agents about his ears touching  the top of
the crate.  They also want him to be in a larger crate than  the female
since he's bigger, but they don't want HER in a 400 and HIM in a  500.  They'd
prefer I use a 500 and a 700....which I won't do!  (can't  fit it in my van
when we get to Korea :-) )

Julie  Degen
_www.caissonkennels.com_ (http://www.caissonkennels.com/)
"A well-balanced German Shepherd has a title on both  ends!"