[ SHOWGSD-L ] cool toy, cheap & easy to make

  • From: gsdlady28@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 19:39:45 -0400

I have a very cool toy that one of my dogs "stole" from a friends
ridgebacks....my dog being about 9 at the time and having NEVER been a toy dog
ever in her life...a chaser but never would pick them up...

she made them herself, heres what you need:

large soda bottle w/cap
handful of dried beans or peas (something edible that wont spoil in case they
do get into it)
enough fake fur material to cover soda bottle (any type will do but the dogs
seem to like the longer type of hair best...I buy half a yard and can make
several)
about a foot of webbing strap or rope to make a handle

For less than $10 you can make 3 or 4 of them...great gifts!

1.You put the beans in the soda bottle and put cap on very tight...maybe even
super glue or hot glue it on
2. Cut the material so that it totally covers the bottle with enough extra to
make your seam (you can cut out a circle for the bottom and a rectangle for the
rest if you want to get fancy, but you can just use a rectangle too and sew it
like a pillow case)
3. Sew the material inside out on 3 sides and part of the 4th side, leaving
room at top to slide bottle in
4. Turn material right side out and slide bottle in
5. Sew the handle onto the top  end of the fabric, near the top of the bottle,
one end on each side of material, making a loop or handle....make sure you sew
those ends very good!
6. Close up the opening of the fabric tightly, covering the bottle and cap
completely.

The dogs go ape sh*t over this toy! It crinkles and rattles and you use the
strap to throw/fling it...I have had them after some time rip it apart and get
the bottle out, esp if you have a really destructive dog (or your stitches
arent really tight and strong!), so I would not leave it in a kennel with them
or anything, but as a supervised toy it is awesome! My old lady was actually
jumping up in the air and grabbing this toy out of my hands and then she shook
it all up and killed it good...it was a riot! It is kinda like the bottles with
ice or food in them, but lasts a little longer with the fabric on it and they
really like the fur!

 Maggie Marshall
Aeval German Shepherds
http://hometown.aol.com/gsdlady28/index.html