[ SHOWGSD-L ] confessions of a dishonest JUDGE...long

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 06:30:38 -0700 (PDT)

 My Name is Ed Hill. I am an AKC German Shepherd conformation judge. When I
judge dog shows sometimes I do an honest job and sometimes I don't. The
following are several examples when I do a dishonest job. Sometimes I judge
dogs on their reputation, if a highly advertised dog that has been doing a lot
of winning and has won previously at the National or at one of the futurities I
am going to put that dog up even if there is a better dog at my show that day.
Sometimes when I judge I make sure the person responsible for getting me the
assignment gets a piece of the action. Sometimes when I judge I make sure one
of the local dogs wins...how do I know who the local dogs are......usually
ringside applause. Sometimes when I judge I will put up another dishonest
judge's dog knowing that down the line this favor will be returned to me.
Sometimes when I judge the National I will make sure my friends get rewarded.
Most of the time when I judge I never put up owners or handlers that I
 do not like. I almost never put up JR Handlers or handlers that I  don't
recognize. After a show if politely asked by an owner why I did what I did, I
either get defensive or I give some vague answer trying to cover my butt.
Sometimes I am influenced by the reputation of the handler, this usually
happens to me at all-breed shows, but I can be influenced at specialty shows as
well. When some one speaks out publicly or privately about politics and
problems with judging I am the FIRST one to defend the integrity and honor of
judging. I call them poor sports, I tell them to get better dogs. This shuts up
most of them...not all, but most...then It is safe for me and the other
dishonest judges to continue what has been happening in this sport for
years....its kind of like steroids and other forms of "cheating" in
baseball...its been going on for years and years and it insults my intelligence
when folks try to tell me differently... Hey so what If I'm dishonest, The
"right" dogs
 win. My friends are happy, and I keep getting more judging assignments. So
what if the little guys and nubies and Jrs and novice handlers get hurt...they
need to pay their dues just like everybody else...and who knows, maybe someday
they might get to be successful like me and then they can become a dishonest
judge too!..............tomorrow,if I am still a member of this list in good
standing,  I will describe how I was like before I went over to the "dark
side".in real life, I've been "dark" all my life..don't worry...just two more
weeks and I'm back in school....Ed Hill