[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: communication

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:55:52 -0500

I know exactly who you are talking about Nancy..this guy is trying to
learn..he is trying to ask all the right questions and I probably spent an
hour with him on the phone.. Part of education about the breed is taking
time to talk with new folks...think about giving back to the breed what it
has given to you...To be honest..I would much rather spend my time with a
new person hungry for knowledge and eager to learn about the breed..then
some who have been in the breed..and have lost their enthusiasm for the
sport...and for the breed itself. C.Grainger

own opinions and we have the right to express those opinions.  The WAY we
CHOOSE to express our opinions can set an ugly tone or an invitation to a
logical and meaningful discussion with one another. Do  we really want to
alienate one another? There has got to be a better way folks.
> Had a phone call from a gentleman who was inquiring about using our stud
dog.  This man had two or three stud dogs recommended to him in order to
help correct a fault in his well bred bitch's gait.  Going away needed
help.  To my surprise this gentleman informed me that he had called two
other breeders and that two of them had been so rude and arrogant, because
he was a new comer,  that he simply told them he no longer wished to talk
to them and quietly hung up.  This man was not put off, he is determined,
but he surely did not come away with a good impression - fortunately he had
talked to two other breeders about what to look for in a stud dog they were
helpful, one was Christine Grainger and the other was Shirley Raymond.
They took the time to try and help and give encouragement.
> Here we are in a situation whereby we are loosing members, not bringing
in new ones,entries are down, registrations are down, people going to other
breeds etc. What is wrong with this picture?  We cannot, in my book,
capture a new audience, attract the public when we cannot treat each other
with common courtesy.