[ SHOWGSD-L ] color question and answer

  • From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:57:22 -0500

White is a recessive masking gene. Two whites cannot produce a coloured dog -
only a white
bred to a coloured dog does that

The gene masks the true colour - underneath they are sable, black and tan,
solid black whatever
- but because of the masking gene, we perceive them to be white.  They are not
agouti recessive
white

And if whites are a separate breed from coloured, if a white is born to two
coloured dogs, it
would not be registerable as it is not then considered to be a GSD but another
breed. Two
whites cannot possibly create a dog of colour as both parents carry the
recessive masking
gene. Two coloured dogs can produce a white as they both can carry ONE MASKING
gene
which does not pale the colour or make it appear white.

This happens with tervs and mals (one breed separated by coat length) - two
tervs can produce
a mal - that puppy is not akc registerable. All the belgian breeds used to be
one breed prior to
1959. They were called the Belgian Shegerd Dog and the varities were
groenendael, laekenois,
malinois and Tervuren

On 27 Jan 2015, at 12:45, Evan Ginsburg wrote:

Having judged the White National, I can answer the question.

Yes, Whites can produce colored dogs. I believe hey are shown in the "Stock"
class. One bitch I judged was fantastic and I told them to show her at AKC and
they finished her.

I think the answer would be that if a colored dog were born of White parents,
they would be ineligible to be shown in the White class.  It would depend of
the standard.  They could put in the standard that color is not a DQ.  Would
that not be a slap in our face?  Or maybe a better way to call
it, an enlightened approach to color.

I had a dream where a dog was judged on the quality of the dog, not the color
of the coat.

But, then I woke up and had eaten my pillow.

Or is that another dream?

Evan