[ SHOWGSD-L ] coat color = terminology

  • From: "Connie" <karekedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:41:43 -0700

Thanks everyone for their ideas of bi-colors , greys and sables . I see that
there are some differences in opinions at least in discriptions (terminology).
That is mainly what I am interested in .
Bi-color - I have been told by some that if a dog has any tan on his face that
he can't be a bi-color so I wondered what the majority opinion was on that .
(my Drago is a bi-color, with the black face I might add) <G>

Grey - I have asked the question for many years and either get an I don't know,
or a gray sable, or other answers . In my thinking , if that is worth anything,
I do not believe that sable is the answer, or I wonder maybe if the true grey
has disappeared .<??>  It was listed as a separate color from the beginning,
but I have never seen it described anywhere . I heard people say years ago that
it was the only color that could improve pigment in one generation . I have
also heard it said that they are born with all black toes and noses .I am just
repeating what I have heard , I have no Idea . Wish I could find out .
I like what Peggy said .
"Some sables are grey.  I don't know if all greys are sables, but we tend to
call them sables............"

Sables - I have never owned a sable, but I have heard varying descriptions ,
Just terminology  , we all know what a sable looks like . But, I hear the word
banded which to me means a band of color halfway down the hair shaft . Then the
word tipping which to me means black or other dark color on the tips of the
hair ( overlay would be the same to me as tipping ) I have heard the word
shading to mean a couple of different things. To me it is the same color
getting slightly lighter, as it gets closer to the base . I have heard some to
describe it as a change of color .
The rabbit people have coat color terminology down to a science . They have
pictures and descriptions and they all understand exactly what each other are
talking about . They all use the same terminology , as a result their color
genetics are pretty easy to understand. Knowing about this of course gave me an
interest in the coat color terminology in GSD's .
I think this may be the reason no one today seems to have an absolute
description of a grey.  (There were not many of them around and no one wrote it
down .)

So what are your thoughts on this ?

OK  NOW I AM DUCKING AND RUNNING, JUST IN CASE ! <LOL>

Connie