[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: canine cosmetic surgery

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsbydezign@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:14:26 -0500

Yes this is interesting/educational in many ways.  Got to thinking of
something as you used the word "altering" since
we've had discussions concerning "dying" the fur to alter a color problem.
I've also known of so many dogs in my
years of living with them.  I truly believe our GSD is the most natural one
that I can think of and we'd have a joke
that it's one of the few that all you really need to do to prepare them for
the show ring is to "shampoo, dry and a
brush up and that's it!  I had English Pointers for a while, yep, short hair
lop ears etc. but I was shocked to find
out the preparation was to clip the whiskers and also some fur along their
back legs etc. as well as to be sure the
front dewclaws, if any, are to be removed.  Lots of work compared to
preparing a GSD.  Look at the cropping
needed for some breeds too and tail docking, it's the name of the game and
originally there was a specific reason
for doing these things with the dogs for certain jobs they did.   TNX
Norma