[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: broken bones?

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:51:36 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/07 2:16:28 PM !!!First Boot!!!, arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

> Has anyone ever had a dog that broke a leg,  was pinned, and then the pin
> removed after the break has healed?  Was it sucessful? Did the leg seem as
> strong afterward?

yes - i had placed a very large vancouver son with a wonderful couple.  the
dog was looking out the bedroom window one morning, saw his friend, the golden
next door, and dove out the window, head first.  he went down 2 1/2 stories
and landed, butt end first, on cement.  the ortho vets wouldn't even touch him.

the owners found an orthopedist at the university of san francisco who did
surgery - over 100 pins and quite a few steel plates.  he had to be carried
everywhere for a number of months but all eventually healed and, a year later,
all
but 4 pins were removed.  the dog lived a long, healthy, active life; he died
shortly after his 14th birthday.  so, YES, it does work!
diane
Diane Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
"In dog years I'm dead." - Author unknown

<BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the
all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>