[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: bringing puppy back from Canada

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <versatilegsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:21:54 -0500

Carolyn Martello wrote:
YEP.    We have never had any problem going into Canada.
Coming back into the States.......a tad more attitude and checking
paperwork.......<G>

I was picking up car parts (engine block and pistons) across the border once
and had brought my 5 year old girl with as company for the 6 hour round
trip.  I had no problem exiting Canada and entering the States but on my
return from the States, the Canadian border guard wanted to inspect my parts
(which I was declaring legally).  So they pulled me off to the side and
asked me to open the back hatch of my Magnum and to remain in the vehicle.
I warned them that I had to secure my dog who was in the back seat and was
rather forcefully advise to stay in the back seat.  Well, I DID try to warn
them...  They opened the back hatch and saw all 22 of Misty's pearly whites
flying over the back seat and the engine block to get at them.  She didn't
exit the car but she wouldn't allow them near the back.  A rather contrite
border agent came around to the driver's side and asked to me to get out and
secure my animal to they could inspect my load.  I snapped the leash on
Misty, removed her from the car and stood about 15 feet away.  Misty did not
take her eyes off them for the whole period.  Needless to say, everything
was fine, other than the one agent refusing to go near me or the dog again.

On another time, we were crossing to attend a large antique car show/cruise
in St. Ignace.  We were in our motorhome and the U.S. customs agent asked if
we were bringing anyone else in.  We replied no.  She asked to view the
inside of our small coach.  I said, hang on a minute, let me grab the dogs.
As I held on two both dogs (who travel on the table across from the door),
she opened the coach door, took a step inside and then retreated from the
cacaphony that greeted her.  She decided that it really wasn't necessary to
inspect the coach.

At no time have I ever been asked for rabies or owner certificates.  I have
been asked what kind of dog food that I was bringing over into the States.

Mary-Anne
C C Mistral of Waldenridge CGN CD RA TD AGN TEC RACL HIC
Tersha's Magnum Force CGN PCD RA TDX AGN AGNJ AGNJS N-TD RNCL TEC HIC
I AM A WORKING DOG
My eyes are your eyes,
 to watch you and to protect you and yours,
My ears are your ears,
to hear and detect evil minds in the dark,
My nose is your nose,
to scent the invader of your domain,
And so you may live,
My life is also yours.