[ SHOWGSD-L ] breed specific legislation

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rewers@xxxxxxxxxxx, cruse@xxxxxxxxxxx, KGuinn@xxxxxxxxxxx, KKay@xxxxxxxxxxx, DOwen@xxxxxxxxxxx, MRich@xxxxxxxxxxx, CityHall@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 06:54:35 -0700 (PDT)

I read that Ocala is considering BSL.  As a dog trainer for most of my life,
both in the Washington, D.C. area and now in Miami I have worked with dogs from
nearly every breed available in the United States.

  There are no bad breeds, there are no breeds that are across the board
dangerous.  To assign this label to any one breed of dog will in no way help
with lowering the number of dog bites or attacks in your jurisdiction.

  Bad owners make bad dogs.  Any person who plans to make a dog mean and
dangerous can pick almost any breed of dog.  With the worst training, any dog
can be dangerous.  Bad people have bad dogs.  The breed does not matter.

  Pitt Bull Dogs can be trained to be wonderful with kids, I have seen it many
times.  Just as often they are mistreated by the people who have them.  The
type of person who would seek a dog with a bad reputation to forward that
reputation is the same person who will break laws of all types to forward their
own agenda.

  Worse than people who deliberately make dogs dangerous are the people who
invest in a dog and then do nothing with it.  They will create a dog that has
no controls and therefore is dangerous from lack of proper training.

  Require training if you like, but people who want to break the law will break
a new law as quickly as an old law.

  A high percentage of dog bites come from dogs whose owners pay little or no
attention to the dog, or to the law.

  Better enforcment of current law will more likely reduce the dog bite
incedents.  Simply having all the dogs in your town registered with the county
as the law requires could have a big effect on the number of bites in Marion
County.

  But BSL will in no way help with the problems you seek to correct.

  I am aware that there are many good trainers and breeders of AKC pure bred
dogs in Marion County.  You might ask their opinions of the best way to reduce
the number of dog bites experienced in Marion County and Ocala.

  Sincerely,

  Sheila Lieberman
  305-772-3647

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Groups are talking. We&acute;re listening. Check out the handy changes to
Yahoo! Groups.