[ SHOWGSD-L ] breed issues

  • From: morton goldfarb <janandmort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 22:02:26 -0500 (EST)

Joan asked that I comment on the relationships between my item 1 and 7.
She was specifically referring to croups and overall proportions of the
overline (top line)
The over line should consist of 3 equal components -wither -back-croup
A dog is long when these are not equal ---a dog is stretched(desirable) when
these are slightly elongated BUT equal.
Usually when a dog is long we refer to the middle piece as being long. This is
almost always the result of a short croup or a forward placed shoulder assembly.
The croup angle should be approximately 23 degrees and should be evaluated in
motion.
We see a great deal of short steep croups in many of our dogs which is a
compensating factor for a lack of proper hindquarter structure.
Many comments were made about the forehand and proper extension and the upper
arm length.
We do see short upper arms here but more often I see a long upper arm that is
straight laid on and a lot of time it is forward placed.
This again often results in a long middle piece.
I could go on and on but perhaps more if desired later.
I think it would be great if we could have general discussion meeting in
seminar fashion at the National with one individual acting as moderator and a
panel of "experts" discussing our Breed with questions etc from the audience.
We need education programs on anatomy-form and function so that everyone is
aware of what is correct anatomy and why that is important for proper motion.
Thanks,
Morton

What was was, what is is --but what was is and what is was!!

Morton Goldfarb