[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: brand new topic

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:43:28 EDT

Description of the problem:
http://www.iamscompanybreeders.com/bronline/en_US/jhtmls/nutrition_library/BO_
NutritionLibrary_Detail_Page.jhtml;jsessionid=JJFKG1MBBFB0BQFIAJ2IYCQ?li=en_US
&pti=NL&sc=D&articleID=52

"When evaluating the hocks, gently push against the back of the hock joint
(do not push past the point of resistance). If the hock collapses forward, the
puppy has a slipped hock. This potentially serious problem is far too commonly
seen in the dog world. A slipped hock is when the joint itself bends the wrong
direction; it hyper-extends or collapses forward. The weakness is in the
tissue, not the bone. The puppy with slipped hocks (or a slipped hock)
constantly
moves one its rears legs forward when you try to stack it because the hock
joint will not collapse with the legs farther under the body. A puppy with
slipped hocks may roach its topline, trying to compensate for this weakness.
Slipped
hocks can cause serious problems for a dog and should never be overlooked or
dismissed."
A couple of other breed sites indicate that the problem is inhertiable:
http://blackrockennels.homestead.com/Aussies.html
"Particularly high on the list of breeding-potential disqualifyers is a
tendency toward weakness in the rear as evidenced by a lack of angulation and
slipped hocks."

http://www.maculated.com/1/n.html
"Some lines are carriers of structural, mental or physical impairments or
faults, i.e., epilepsy, cataracts, immune problems, popping or slipped hocks,
weak fronts or rears, missing teeth, extra teeth, and the list goes on. "

http://www.bcosw.org/_disc1/00000b01.htm

"If the testing is there, have you had anyone look at your dogs for
structural problems, like slipped hocks, weak rears, elbow dysplasia? Those
things all
have a genetic component."

Hope this helps,

Janice

In a message dated 6/15/2005 7:22:06 PM Mountain Standard Time,
pmick@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I'm aware that it isn't really a problem in most North American-bred
German Shepherds.  It does exist in many breeds, however, and I was
hoping, given the amount of brainpower about dogs in general on this
list, that someone would be able to tell me more than I already know
about it.   (I named some of the breeds, but couldn't begin to name them
all...LOL!)
    Dr. Spira believes it is a problem with the structure of the hock;
others believe it is a ligamentation problem.  I don't know...
all I know is it doesn't usually interfere with a dog's usefulness
insofar as showing or hunting is concerned...what I want to know is does
anyone believe it is heritable.............
Peggy