[ SHOWGSD-L ] brags

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:45:06 EST

Last weekend, CH Yankee went BOB 4 times, owner-handled.  This  weekend,
Yankee went to watch his brother, Radar the Border Collie, in a  Course B
herding
trial.  Radar went in to the weekend needing one more leg  to finish his
Advanced B course title.

I can honestly say that the Advanced B sheep title is the HARDEST  title that
I've ever attempted in AKC.  It starts with a huge outrun  to pick up 5 sheep
and bring them in a straight line to the handler at the  handler's post.  The
sheep are taken around the post in a clockwise fashion  and then the dog has
to drive them through two sets of panels while the handler  stays at the post,
sweats bullets, directs the dog, gets sick to their stomach,  and then thanks
the dog gods when the sheep miraculously stay on a straight  line and make it
through the panels!  The sheep are then taken to a VERY  small free-standing
pen where they are convinced that they WANT to go into this  dead-end death
trap.  They are then taken out of the pen and taken to a 60  foot diameter
circle where the handler and dog attempt to defy nature, herd  dynamics, and
everything we've every taught the dog about keeping sheep  TOGETHER, because in
this
circle, the dog has to peel two sheep off the five,  and then IGNORE the
three leftover sheep while they move those two sheep away  from the group (who
are
usually desperately seeking a way to return to the  larger group so they'll
be safe and not eaten).  Well, today,  RADAR and I DID IT!!  This was much more
difficult than his Herding  Championship (which he earned last year) and I am
VERY proud of him AND me  :-)  Radar will now be known as:  HC Bto Masquerade
HXAs HXBs AX AXJ  NF OFAh&e.

Oh, yes, GSD CH Yankee also got to "play" sheep this weekend.  On  Friday at
the Fun Match, the BC people grudgingly allowed us to enter Yankee and  he
worked sheep for the first time "away from home".  He was *awesome* and  even
the
BC people commented about what a nice working dog he was (a HUGE  compliment
from BC people)!  Yankee will be going for his PT in December  (next trial)
and he's looking forward to many years of herding...HIS favorite  sport!

Julie  Degen
_www.caissonkennels.com_ (http://www.caissonkennels.com/)
"A well-balanced German Shepherd has a title on both  ends!"