[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: blood or blood clots in urine

  • From: Sarah Buyting <khylar_creek@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: show list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 08:23:23 -0400 (EDT)

Actually in dogs 95%+ cases of stones and/or crystals in the urine are caused
by bacterial infections.  The crystals are formed by a change in urinary pH
that is caused by the by-products of bacterial multiplication.  Usually in the
case of crystals you put them on antibiotics and the crystals go away as the
infection clears.  The stones are caused by long term crystal presence - and
yes they are laden with bacteria.  The outer surface is porous and holds
bacteria away from antibacterial therapy.  There are many different types of
stones - all caused by different minerals - if the pH drops in the urine below
6 you will get calcium stones, above 7 and you get triple phosphate.  To make
things worse you can get one type of stone surrounded by another type of stone.
 We send all stones away for analysis to make sure that we are treating them
properly as well we always send away a small piece of bladder wall mucosa for a
culture + sensitivity so that we treat the infection proper
 ly.  Our
 last dog had a Pseudomonas infection and has been on Baytril so far for 4
weeks post surgery to remove the stones.

My hubby had kidney stones a year or so ago - the urologist said that people
form stones from diet related issues.  He was supposed to cut out anything
causing oxalates - hmm.. bacon, coffee, beats, chocolate....  :-)  Each type of
stone would be specific to the causes in people.

Hope this helps,
Sarah - vet tech
khyalr_creek@xxxxxxxx

Elsyd1@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hmm...I have had over 30 stones, and they were caused by calcium and other
minerals, very prevalent in areas of hard water. Never was it even suggested
that they were caused by infection. They can CAUSE infection however, but that
is another problem. Syd