[ SHOWGSD-L ] bloat

  • From: "Holly Woods" <hollywoods@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:16:08 -0800

Back when I was looking for my first show dog, ( I had always had Shepherds
since I was a teenager) but didnt show then. I went to another province to look
at some really nice looking dogs that had a lot of Champions out there. The
owner was very honest or else didnt think it would bother me but he was telling
me about 3 in the same family that had bloated and he lost them in the last 14
months. They were young dogs. At this point I had never even heard of bloat..
(before the internet). Although I really liked the dogs he was showing me, I
couldnt bring myself to buy a dog that had that many die of the same thing in
those few months at that young age. Especially since I had always had my
Shepherds live to 13 - 14 years old. I still have that longevity  I think. I
have only lost two dogs under 12 in a lot of years. I EXPECT them to live to
12. Sometimes I get 13-16. This includes dogs that I have sold. Now I am almost
scared to get a new dog, afraid to lose it young.My two girls are almost 8 and
going strong and I hope they last a lot more years yet, but still thinking of a
new puppy.