[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: best puppy?????????

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: ccceditor@xxxxxxxxx, bnbgsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:31:33 EST

In a message dated 10/30/2006 10:58:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ccceditor@xxxxxxxxx writes:
If you  scroll over to the next page from the one Kathy
references, the non-regular  classes are Veteran dog
and Bitch, age divided. No Best Puppy  class.
Right.  The non regular classes start on page 3 (include BP and  BOP)and
continue onto page 4.  Look closely at the bottom of page three and  you'll see

the heading for Veterans.  (I might have put it at the top  of page 4, because
it would have been easier to read, but no matter). Veterans  classes are
listed as non-regular classes involving single dog entries.   When veterans
classes
are listed this way, the winners go back for BOB.   (That's the distinction).

You might want to read the instructions for  Special
attractions which would have been completed for the
National I  am sure. They are interesting regarding
judging of special events such as  Best Puppy and Best
Bred-by and Veterans as a special  attraction.

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/masterform.cfm

Scroll down  to conformation events and then to special
attractions  form.

Right.  I've used these forms for Parade of Title Holders and Rescue  parades
for my own regional club, so I'm very familiar.

Here's the link to the actual form.  Note that per the directions to
complete the form, Best Puppy and Veterans DO NOT NEED need approval on  the
Special
Attractions Form.  (Third paragraph). It's printed in bold  and they've even
underlined a section of it.

_http://www.akc.org/pdfs/mespl2.pdf_ (http://www.akc.org/pdfs/mespl2.pdf)

On the second page of the form they list examples of Special  Attractions.
These would be our Parade of greats, Stud Dog classes  etc. as well as the ones
I've listed above.

And anyway if I am following the undefeated logic to
its  conclusion, any dog that does not go Best of Breed
is defeated on the day and  nobody should be eligible
for Best anything class, Puppy, 12-18, Bred By or  any
other regular class.

Bred By, having a single class in each sex is an easy one.  IF a  dog/bitch
goes BOB, it is automatically Best Bred By.  Anything else and it  would go
back to compete with the dog/bitch of the opposite sex for Best Bred  By.  The
(Best) class is limited, so the dogs can progress to a  non-regular
competition.
 You'll note, getting back to the Special  Attractions form, paragraph 3,
also in bold, Best bred By is also NOT something  you'd use the Special
Attractions form for.

A puppy that hasn't been defeated by the other in its own sex (since there
are 2; 6-9 and 9-12) by the other puppy in the same sex going Reserve or
Winners is eligible to compete for best puppy because it has not been placed
against the other eligible puppy of that sex and the competition is limited  to
puppies only.  (This limitation is why the puppies can still compete,  even
though  they have been defeated in winners; unless one goes Reserve or
Winners, we
really don't know how they ranked against each other.)

Looked at a different way, say a male puppy goes WD.  He has defeated  the
other male, so that other male is out.  You would have 3 puppies in BP
competition, the two girls and the WD.  One of the girls could go BP  because
this is
the first time the boys and girls are all competing  together.   If the same
male puppy were to go BOB, you'd still  have  3 puppies back in for BP, BUT,
the best a girl could do is BOP.

But take a look at the AKC's Special Attractions Form Barb.  Third
paragraph, bold print.  Best Puppy, Veterans, Best Bred By don't go on  there.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_