[ SHOWGSD-L ] behavior

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: betjagsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 20:00:16 EDT

Dear Betty,

I am so sorry for your bad experience.  I wasn't at the shows, so I  don't
know who laughed at you, but I have been around dog shows for many years
and unfortunately know several people who would act this  way.  There are some
very immature, cruel people in the GSD  world.  I wouldn't give two cents
for some of them, but then there are  others for whom I would give everything
because they are wonderful caring  individuals.  Unfortunately, the people
who this email should probably be  directed "at", won't even see themselves
in it.  They are so concerned with  being "important", and the center of
attention and/or making fun OF people, that  they don't even realize what
they're doing.

Many years ago, I had my young baby at a show.  I was very  involved with
the show, was on the committee and had spent a lot of time and  personal
money to make sure that the show went well.  I went to the dinner  and judge's
talk after the show and had to take my infant with me as my husband
(military) was out of town.  My 4 month old infant was exhausted and  getting
fussy,
and I took her out immediately.  I don't recall exactly what  was said, all
I remember is how I *FELT* when the person giving the  talk had to make
some nasty derogatory comments so everyone  would laugh at me as I took myself
& my child out of the  room.  It was humiliating.  Too many people don't
understand  the difference between laughing AT people and laughing WITH them.
The  way things are said and handled make all the difference.  At another
show several years ago, I had my son with me.  The judge was  giving a speech
and really making a lot of people uncomfortable with what he  said and how
he said it.  He was trying to "get a laugh", but it was in  extremely poor
taste and at the expense of others.  My son looked at me at  one point and
said, 'Mom, that's NOT funny....he's hurting them!".  He (my  son) was correct
and we've brought up that person and his inappropriate speech  many times
since when talking about appropriate humor as well as compassion  for others.

Anyway, I am so sorry about your bad experience and these mean  people.
Please don't judge us all by the actions of a few....

Julie Degen

_www.caissonkennels.com_ (http://www.caissonkennels.com)
"A  well-balanced German Shepherd has a title on both ends!"

******************
From: "Betty Abrams" <betjagsd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28  May 2009 17:29:48 -0400

I  have been a member of GSDCofA since 1981 (except for 2001-2005 due to  =
personal and health problems).  I am a shy person and really stay to  =
myself.  I've been told I am honest, tacktfully truthful, and big  =
hearted.  I would never say anything to hurt someone's feelings or say  =
anything behind thier back.  I do not back stab.  I consider  myself a =
"newbie" when it comes to the comformation ring.  I own 1-2  German =
Shepherds at a time.  They are my house pets and companions  first.  I =
love them dearly.  I am also the woman that showed her  own dog at the =
mid atlantic amateur maturity.  I am the person that  fell not just once, =
but twice.  I got up both times and finished the  class.  Brusied and =
bloody I even set my girl up for pictures.   Yes, I know we were the only =
one in the class, but I am proud that I was  able to do it.  I've had a =
heart attack, 2 back surgeries and alot of  other medical problems.  I'm =
happy just to be able to walk with my  girls.  Honestly nothing bothered =
me as I made a fool of myself  falling in the ring.  Dan Smith as my =
girls breeder offered to take  "Blitz" back in the ring for Best Amateur =
Bitch but could not because of  his judging statis.  (I'll never forget =
that Marilyn and Dan  one  of the two nice things about the day Thanks =
again)  As luck would have  it a young girl I believe is associated with =
"The Girlz" took her back in  for me.  (The second nice thing of the day. =
Thanks again.  I  sorry I didn't get your name).  I am upset over the =
snickers and being  laughed at after the class.  The people at ringside =
that don't know me  were mean and vicious.  You should be ashamed of =
yourselves.  If  this is the way people are treated no wonder the dog =
world is going down  the tubes. I did something I only ever dreamed of.  =
I entered and  showed my own dog at a maturity.  I will never do it =
again. The people  who laughed at me made sure of that. If you think it's =
funny when a 50  something year old lady that can bearly walk falls to =
the ground doing  something she loved you mother did something wrong.

**************Cooking Dinner For Two? Sign Up & Get Immediate Member-Only
Savings.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222652750x1201460983/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225797%3B37274671%3Bq%3Fhttp:%2
F%2Frecipes.cookingfor2.pillsbury.com%2F%3FESRC%3D934)