[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: bed for puppy

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: gailbauman@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:08:59 EST

In a message dated 3/24/2005 1:31:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gailbauman@xxxxxx writes:
I have  been using the fleece-type beds for my puppies since they have been
crated.  My boy has now developed a "taste" for this, and anything else I
might put on the floor of his crate - he will chew it up and/or eat it.
Yesterday I discovered that he'd eaten some of his bed and then thrown it up -
can't
be good for his tummy, and I worry about blockages.  So, what are  some other
options for him to use as a crate bed?  I feel sorry for him  today - he has
nothing but the plastic pan to sleep on, but I don't trust him  with anything
else I have for a bed.  I'm afraid to use newspapers b/c  that's what I lined
their kennel run with when they were little, and I think  he might figure it's
ok to potty on them - he's been doing so well w/crate  training thus far I'm
afraid to set him up to take as step backwards.   Any suggestions?  He's
almost 6 months old, and finished with teething  for the most part - I don't
think
it's related to that - and he has a Nylabone  in his crate (which he
loves!) so he has somehting to chew on while he's  in there.  HELP!!
Gail

Gail, I have a friend who lost one about the age of your puppy when  her
puppy choked on part of a crate pad she was chewing on.  Since then, I  put it
in
my puppy packets to NEVER put a puppy in a crate w/ a pad, a bone, a  chewie,
a stuffed toy, etc.  I'll use a crate pad for a dog who has proven  it's not a
chewer, and the first pads they get are made out of almost  indestructible
material a local vendor uses (without zippers.)
Kathy

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_