[ SHOWGSD-L ] baby strollers

  • From: gsdlady28@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:48:22 -0500

As a parent of a 1 year old, and being a handler and exhibitor, I can say I
have?on occasion been told "that stroller is not allowed in here" ...now mind
you I am very careful not to run over any dogs and don't walk her around in it
unnecessarily, either parked by the crates/grooming out of the way, or?
parked?by the ringside out of the way with someone watching her if I am in the
ring, and she is a very well behaved pleasant baby....and my response is
usually, would you prefer I put her infant seat on the ground so if a dog
wanted to they really could get a hold of her or pee on her? If you insist I
will do so, but if anything happens to my child you and the club?will be sued!
I explain that I am a handler and an exhibitor, and have paid my entries and
have a kid, and unless they are providing some kind of safe childcare for my
child, she is coming with me to the ring! I have never been kicked out and they
usually don't bother me after that, but it still really is not fair!
 I can see no strollers for spectators, as they are not always as careful or
aware as a dog person would be, but an exhibitor? Now to be honest, the ONLY
time I have had a dog even attempt to go after my child was when I was holding
her in my arms, in her nice fluffy snowsuit that looked kinda like a big
squeaky toy and a husky jumped up while I was talking to her handler and
grabbed her foot! (luckily not getting her just the suit) I think kids are much
safer in a stroller, as most dogs recognize that as a baby if they have been
around them, or at least are more cautious or leery?of it if they have not, and
I sure as heck would rather have spectators' kids in strollers and not running
amuck, as they much safer and easier to control!
Maggie Marshall
"Geneva's Mom"
Aeval-Achtung Shepherds
http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003