[ SHOWGSD-L ] attack?

  • From: Robert Utter <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:33:09 -0500

Regarding the dog that bit the kid.    There may be one thing to think
about.   Are they SURE the attack was unprovoked?  Was the dog used to
children?  Had children patted  him before ok?   Was the dog surprised
when the child went to pet him.  Was the child in front or beside or
behind the dog when he put his hand out to pet the dog?  The dog could
have seen this as a threat.  You say that there is never a time when a
dog should bite a child.  Some children really are threats the way they
act. I'm not saying this was the case here.  I  had boys tease a  horse
in the pasture making him terribly headshy.
I got back a gsd 6 mos. old pup because he was herding the kids and
that scared them.  I believe no young child should be left alone with a
big dog (or even small ones).   It is natural for a pup to chase and
bite at heels when a child runs. These kids were scared and the parent
would not watch or correct or train either the dog or kids.  I got him
back.
I sold a 5 mos. old gsd to people that I did not know lived with her
sister who had a crawling baby. The pup had never seen a baby crawling
before and growled at the baby.  i told them to immediately return the
dog as I knew there was a possibility of the dog biting in defense.
And I knew if that happened, the dog would be put down.   I got the dog
back and resold it later and it turned out to be a wonderful and highly
intelligent, very active dog.  No problems with aggression.  It was
just that as a young dog/pup, she didn't understand a baby crawling on
the floor like that and obviously considered it a threat.   It never
happened again.
Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances
Anne, TN