[ SHOWGSD-L ] as the sun sets for us

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:04:16 -0700 (PDT)

So, hello List!  Thank you to those who are picking up the party planning at
the National.  Wish I could do it myself and be there.  But my brother is still
out of it, and Mom is beginning to realize her life must change.

  In light of the changes that are becoming clear, she has asked me to address
all of you to see if you can help her.

  She can no longer work as a computer programmer for the government contract
she worked on for the last 20 years.  She is living on her social security,
which is more than I thought it would be, but not enough to pay her rent and
her cancer medications.  She has medicare and it does what it does and she is
about to look into mediaide, but she has all the other expenses we all have.
And she has 2 8year old GSD's.  Her life would end without those dogs.  And as
they go, so might she.

  Without my brother to assit in income and trash removal and laundry she is
realizing that her life must change.  But how much it really must change
depends on how much help she can from Maryland and Montgomery County and if she
can find someone who can appreciate her dogs and ciggarettes and SciFi channel
and National Geographic channel.

  We, she, my sister in Chicago, and myself, are wondering if someone out there
is in a simular situation.  Is there a woman who loves her dogs, is tight
financially and in need of both company and some help.  Someone who could help
mom learn to take the trash out more often to make it lighter, and someone who
would help get the dogs outside for the home health aide to come in and help
with the laundry.  That special someone who also wants a few more years of
independent living but cannot really live alone.  Someone who is really
honestly lonely at 9 at night when there is nothing on TV but bad commericals
to pick on.

  Someone who would bitch about bad judging with her about shows neither of you
went to........

  Moving her in with my family is not currently an option first because the
state of Florida is not kind to the less fortunate.  There is little welfare
here, and when she needs full nursing care, if she is living with use prior to
that we will be expected to pay full fair.  It will devestate our lives very
quickly and we will be needing the same aide when we are old.  We have worked
hard to have money for our kids' education and our eventual retirement.  To
give both up to care for my mom does not make sense to us, and to bring her in
here now would almost guarantee that we would have to put all our assests into
her care and have nothing left to buy dog food with when all was done.

  We will consider moving her to you, if there is room for Cuz and Tess, or at
least Cuz.  If your state is kind to those without resources, and you live on
one level that would be even better.

  Or we would install a chair lift from the main floor to the second floor.
But the dogs are about done with stairs too.

  Moving her to somewhere in Florida is certainly a possiblity if my
conversation with the lawyer is a good one.  I need to make the appointment,
but I have a name of someone who come recommended by a law professor.

  I do not have a real specific idea, because if I did it would narrow my
options.  But I am asking the dog community because it is the only one I trust
to care for and about my mom as we do care for and about each other.

  Please reply privately to me if you think you can help us out.

  Thank you one and all.
  sheila

Sheila of GSDC of Greater Miami
Member GSDCA Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.