[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: arson dog

  • From: JANGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: jkerner@xxxxxxxxx, Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 12:12:27 EDT

Jane,

I had Farmers Insurance for years.  About 2 years ago I switched to  State
Farm.  I called up my Mom's State Farm agent and asked if they had  any
restrictions on dogs, specifically German Shepherds.  No Problem.   I applied
and was
approved HOWEVER I mentioned that I bred Shepherds.  The  whole picture
changed at that point.  My agent said he did not think I  could be covered and
State
Farm Headquarters said that they could not cover  me.  Talk about mad.  I
could not understand their reasoning.  We  live in the country and the people
out
here have dogs that run loose and  "visit" the neighbors.  So I asked why
someone that lets their dogs run  loose and run all over the country is "OK" to
state farm, but I cannot be  covered when my dogs are in kept in dog runs, or
in a fenced yard, my dogs are  temperament tested,  and I cannot be covered???
I was told that was  their "policy"  So I got the number of the head quarters
and talked to one  gentleman down there.  I never expected to change their
opinion, but I just  wanted to give them a piece of my mind.  State Farm
explained that because  I bred Shepherds, I had all these hundreds of puppy
buyers
coming to my property  and that I had more risk of having a dog bite then an
average Joe.  I told  them they were crazy.  My dogs passed temperament tests,
were not running  loose and I didn't have 50 litters a year.  I had only a few
puppy buyers  coming over during the year and some years, no puppies to sell.
I was not  a commercial kennel, but a hobby breeder.   Well, to my surprise,
they  changed their ruling and I was given the coverage.  I still cannot figure
 them out.  Its OK for dogs to run wild, charge cars that pull up on the
driveway, but if you are responsible and take care of your dogs, you are not
allowed to be a State Farm Client.

Janet