[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: another website blasting our show dogs--grrrrrrr

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:57:49 -0700 (PDT)

I see a fair number of German dogs too.  They are edgy.  I agree.  I have had
to counsel many clients about the higher drive that is not a happy pet.  Now,
with my health and schedule I need calm dogs.  After an afternoon of rain that
had me draining the pool and clearing the sewer drains to end the flood on our
street, my dogs are sleeping at my feet as they do most of the day.

  Liddy likes to sit in our bay window and look for things to bark at.  But her
kids are all happy to be near me.  And they travel like pro's too.

  A high drive German dog would go insane with my lifestyle.  This is the same
reason I don't have birds, Border Collies or any of a number of other animals.

  sheila
Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Generally the more defensive people are about their dogs the more insecure
they are about what they are doing. Considering that the German lines with that
god awful roachy back isn't exactly what the founder of the breed had in mind
either, it's not something I would get too upset about. Even German breeders
don't necessarily like the roached back, but the only way to achieve any kind
of movement with little or no angulation (and they don't want angulation - no
sirree) is to breed a dog with a roachy back. The roach flattens out when the
dog moves.

When I first got back into GSD's I did research German lines without
understanding the difference between them and American lines......I was not
overly impressed with their temperament either. Though I hate to generalize
there is an edge on those lines that I just dont' feel comfortable with. I
think any issues with temperament in American lines may be a breeder attempts
to create a dog that can actually live in a household in the suburbs with
children and all those pesky neighborhood kids zooming by on the scooters...and
bikes....that to a high drive dog look like something that might be worth
chasing. I've never bought into the on/off switch that german line breeders
tout only because prey drive is unpredictable at best.

I had one above average high drive litter and I've decided that it is just not
my type of dog. Out of that litter I kept two....the male I've recently placed
as he was a handful in my small household and the bitch, a beautiful typey dog
that I am currently showing, has more energy then I know what to do with. The
highlight was that her littermate is a SAR dog....all American lines I might
add.

When puppy buyers ask me the difference I usually ask them what look they like
best, then suggest that they find the right kind of energy level that fits
their lifestyle. Most average pet buyers find a well bred American line dog
fits nicely into their household.

JMO of course
Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com

CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi All,
I came across this article/website by mistake--but decided to check i
out--just thought you all might like to see this--and she has a picture of some
dog
who is rather "square"--very little angulation--who is supposed to be an
"example" of an American show dog--(dont know who it is tho??)
this is the link to the site:
_Balance Problems with the American Show German Shepherd_
(http://leerburg.com/gsd-gate.htm)
and I copied this below from the first page of the site--she says, quote:
"I do not often publish articles on my web site that have been written by
other people, but I asked Jean Mueller permission to print this article. It
addresses the structural problem with the AMERICAN GERMAN SHEPHERD. I wrote an
article titled _German Bloodline Dog's vs American Bloodline Dogs_
(http://leerburg.com/germblod.htm) . In it I address the fact that American
Shepherds
have lost their temperament, drive and working ability as a result of American
Show Breeders searching for extreme angulation.
Jeanâ??s article addresses the basic conceptual mistake that American AKC Show
breeders make in how they interpret what a German Shepherd Dog should look
like. They are so far off the mark that they have virtually destroyed the
functionality of their bloodlines.
In my opinion is it foolish, stupid and wrong to breed an animal whose sole
purpose is to enter conformation shows and run in a circle. I will guarantee
you that Max Von Stephanitz never had the American German Shepherd in mind
when he wrote his standards for the breed in the early 1900's. "
Why dont these jerks leave us alone???
Cheri --and her BEAUTIFUL, INTELLIGENT, HEALTHY, American show line dogs.
Cheri Hunt----Cheradon Shepherds
Home of Ch. Cheradon AchtungErynbrook Molokai, TC, OFA H&E, PA,TH,CA, Eyes
Cert. and Certificate of Health Merit Excellent from the GSDCA (aka Ch. Mikey)
_Ch. Mikey_ (http://hometown.aol.com/cheradongsd/MS_PI/111603/page1.htm)
and his sister, Cameo --see her here: _Cameo's site_
(http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/CheradonGSD/MS_PI/091502/page1.htm)

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com