[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: another point of view... newbie cost of showing

  • From: "Donna" <onaluzlead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Show GSD List'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:36:19 -0500

Well I will take a stab at the question as I did privately to Kris when
asked privately...I didn't realize this was a list question, however, this
is what I said and I think many handlers would agree...Cynthia is right,
there are too many variables that fall into play and here are a few others
not considered...that I have seen mentioned.
#1- You can't give an accurate total, many things fall into play that you
can not control, not only what was written below which would help make it
seem that the handler controls it...but...
#2 - the condition of the dog if brought by the owner
#3 - the owners double handling skills
#4 - the judging slate
#5 - quality of the other dogs shown by another handler showing up and #2
and #3 falling into play for them
#6 - A frustrating as it may be for me to make this statement ... handlers
bring dogs that they think the judge may like due to past judging
assignments and then to our surprise, the judge likes a different type and
style on that day...so these days very few can be pinpointed down to liking
this or that...you end up trying to bring what you have in the best
condition, groomed, trained and ready to win.  That can be a new thread on
consistency...

I am sure there are many more points...but all of this falls into play every
week, it is easy to make it sound like the handler controls the whole game,
although not true, we help...as do the owners, judges, conditioners and
trainers along with the doublers.
Team efforts work best when showing. But remember the judge points the
finger or swoops you out in the end...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!! Hope this helps,
Donna