[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: another point of view..........

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:32:29 -0800 (PST)

Peggy, you are right.  Not only that but adopting a pure bred dog from a
shelter is just a big a gamble.  Adoption from rescue groups are better due to
screening of adoptive families and direct requiements by such groups, so a
better outcome can be in likely, but still there are no guarentees.

  And even when as a breeder, we trust someone to take our puppies into good
homes, things can go wrong.  I know first hand.  Sold the puppy, had a funny
feeling about the marriage, so I  called and called.  Finally, after 4 months,
he admits he is seperated and the dog is left home all day.  The kids take
great care of her but he knows it is not eough.  Well, she was vicious when I
got her back.  She came at me!!!!  Now, after much effort and 2 major events of
pack orientation, she is sound and a pleasure to have around with guests, after
the intial 10 minutes.  I keep a close eye on her nonetheless, as I did with
the Rottie.  But she is wonderful and we are glad to have her as part of the
pack now.
  sheila
Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  This is sad, but very true, as most of us know. I've rarely seen it so well
presented...and perhaps this is the answer we need to have ready for the ARs
when they knock breeders in favor of rescue adoptions..........

From another list, reprinted here with permission..........
Peggy

It is our way of telling the nation that SHELTER ANIMALS
>>>MUST BE GIVEN ADOPTION PRIORITY BY THE PUBLIC.

OK...here's my problem with this attitude/agenda. Family lifestyles and/or
their ability to properly handle responsibilities of an "unknown quantity"
dog
are being ignored.

People have been told to choose a dog which suits their lifestyle. At the
same time they are told to adopt an "unknown quantity" shelter pup that can
rarely be predictable, at least in size and even general temperament. Adult
dogs
are surrendered for varying reasons and although many are good dogs, not ALL
are
fit family pets.

Many times people adopt one misfit dog from a humane society or shelter that
results in souring them to ever wishing to own another dog again. I know for
fact that only one bad experience with ANY dog will put some off them no
matter what the breed/mix breed.

When shelter/humane society employees are way too motivated to "sell" a
possibly troubled dog, they sometimes misrepresent or soft-peddle existing
problems
in a dog. Or "predict" outcomes they have NO way of knowing. For
instance,
my neighbors adopted a pit bull mix. Upon seeing her as a pup I said,
"Whoa...she looks like she might grow to be a big girl!" The neighbor said,
"Oh
no...they told us she wouldn't weigh more than 20-25 lbs when she's grown!"
Now
at 75 lbs. (and a shy nature) problems are arising they didn't count on.
Had
they not been so bent on being politically correct over everything, they
might've researched and found a pure breed with the characteristics best
suited for
their family.

Now...this does NOT mean I am against shelter/humane society adoptions. One
of the best dogs I ever owned was a mixed breed shelter dog. BUT if the
idea
is to provide a forever home for any dog AND value the quality of the
family's
life, a shelter dog should NOT always be given adoption priority by the
public.