[ SHOWGSD-L ] another ear treatment con't ooopss

  • From: Sarah Buyting <khylar_creek@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:07:52 -0500 (EST)

Sorry guys I guess I pushed the wrong button and it sent this - wasn't finished
yet.....

Another thing you can use is called Burrow's Solution with or without
hydrocortisone 1%.  One of my GSD's had a bad ear infection and instead of
using the usual Surolan I grabbed this new to us medication out of the
cupboard.  I cleaned her ears the first day and I've only used baby wipes to
clean the tops of them now every other day for the last 10 days.  They look
great!  You can pick up Burrow's over the counter - not sure if the one
containing hydrocortisone can be over the counter or not - otherwise get your
vet to write you a prescription for one with refills on it.
It changes the pH level in the ear so that the bacteria and yeast are unable to
grow.  Along the same lines as swimmers solution but really seems to work a lot
better.  The vet college here in the Maritimes uses the Burrow's as the first
line treatment for ear infections.  The steroid takes out the soreness and
inflammation of course.

Sarah
khylar_creek@xxxxxxxx