[ SHOWGSD-L ] angles and working

  • From: slvrcrkgsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:42:31 -0500

marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx  writes:
*We found a dog that had the rear angles and the right shoulder could  work
longer and do what the breed was bred to do.
*And where was this tested?
Is it actually true, or is this just the hypothesis?
--
Jackie

I went to a seminar about dog structure and agility that was a hands-on event.
had border collies, aussies, and poms.  The speaker brought her hound mix for
demos (she had no connection to Shepherds).  Most of the dogs there were Border
Collies.  I had the only German Shepherd (Ch. Stuttgart's Enough Said HT, PT).

The seminar was mostly about how to know your dog's structure, so you know its
weaknesses in order to do a personalized stretch routine before exercise
(especially agility), and to recognize repetitive drills that could cause your
dog injury based on their structure.  The instructor used my German Shepherd
over and over again to demonstrate how the angles provide the "perfect"
structure for preventing injury while working.  She said many times that the
moderate American German Shepherd has the best structure of any working breed
for preventing injury.  She said they will not usually be the fastest dog at
the end of the agility run, but they will be the most structurally sound.

Carrie Adams
Colorado