[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: amish and their horses

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:05:42 -0700 (PDT)

Falkrigia@xxxxxxx wrote:In many ways, man is the cruelest, most degraded member
of the animal
kingdom.
A very unfortunate situation......

  That statement goes without question....Ed Hill

  As Kathy said, Horses have a really tough go of it a lot of the time. There
are people who will actually starve them to death when they are too old to be
useful - not even pay the price of a humane euthanization.
It's thoroughly disgusting how ill-cared for many horses are and they are
absolutely awesome creatures.
In many ways, man is the cruelest, most degraded member of the animal
kingdom.
A very unfortunate situation.

We (my horse partner and I ) have 2 rescue youngsters from the Premarin farms
(PMU farms ). They were coming up for auction as are almost all of the foals
coming out of the constantly bred mares at the PMU farms. We purchased them to
keep them from going to auction where God knows who would have bought them -
especially with the big slaughter houses being up north and most of these
farms are in Canada - or at least the ones where these 2 came from are. They
are
both magnificent animals now at 21/2 years old and we are just now breaking
them to saddle. Both are Percheron crosses so they are very large
horses even at this young age.
The abuse of horses is heart-breaking. We also have an Amish bred and trained
young Belgian who ended up down in our area and recently acquired a young ap
py/arab cross before he was sent to auction.
These are also exceptionally nice young horses who were changing hands
through no fault of their own.
Horses seem to change hands much more often than dogs. When I bought my first
Appaloosa Buck, he was 7 years old and I was his 6th owner. He's now 11 and
will always be with me. Our first belgian Titan had been through 4 owners when
he came to John and of course is still with us and always will be.

Horse overpopulation is a real, genuine issue in our nation just as dog and
cat overpopulation are. They live longer and are far more expensive to maintain
than the average dog or cat. And yet, people continue to breed them even as
thousands are slaughtered every year and only God knows how many more are
starved to death or get a bullet between the eyes because they are no longer
useful
or wanted.
Horses are an impulse thing with lots of people just as dogs are. Same end
result a lot of the time. There just isn't a local pound to drop them off at.

Seems to me there has to be a better way to care for other animals we share
this world with.
lynda

Check out our websites for constantly updated info and pictures
www.falkrigiashepherds.com
www.thecraftywoodchuck.com

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original