[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [amergsd] bedding

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: lfossland@xxxxxxx, CDRHVN@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:33:16 -0400

I agree about the new carpet.  There can be some bad reactions to it.  I have
also used the newspapaers, shredded papers and blankets.  Don't use straw or
shavings til the pups get older.  But, last couple litters I tried something
different.  Astroturf.  I found some cheap Astroturf at Home Depot.  It gives
the pups traction, hard for them to bite off and ingest and the backing makes
it stay smooth so Mom doesn't bunch it up.  I cut 3 chunks to fit the whelping
box so I could rotate them.  I hosed it off with dish detergent and let is dry
in the sun for a couple days before it even went in the box.  You can use
bleach on it if needed and it lasts a long time.  It comes in big rolls so I
used the rest of it to make an outdoor play area for the pups.  This way they
are not directly on the grass and dirt which may harbor coccidiosis or Giardia.
 I don't know if Home Depot carries it every spring so I bought a bunch of
rolls last year, just in case I ever get to have pups again
 :-)  I love this stuff.  I think I have some pics of it and the pups if anyone
wants to see it.

Laura Thomas