[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [amergsd] bedding

  • From: "Connie" <ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:43:31 -0600

I buy 2 sets of rubber backed bath mats and just keep changing them every day .
I do a lot of washing, but it works for me . They don't slide and they stay in
place very well .
Connie

I have been breeding dogs for over 30 years. I have used about any and every
thing you can think of. The shaving can get in their mouths and could choke
them or the very least be ingested. Newspapers flat are to slick and the
puppies
can not get traction to crawl. Shedded paper is not to bad but not my bedding
of choice. I used hay and also straw at one point but the straw can scratch
the eyes or even blind them. I had one puppy that had a piece of hay go into
the mouth, migrated to the lining of the heart, became infected and died. They
vet found it in the pocket around the heart and said he had never seen this
before. I don't like blankets because the mom can move them arouind, lose a
puppy, then lay on it. My bedding of choice is NEW carpet. The mom can see the
babies nd babies have traction to crawl, and it is pretty easy to get and to
replace when soiled..Find someone who is a carpet layer and ask for any small
remanents or end of rolls. I have a friend and also a neighbor who gives me
mass
amounts of carpet so I supply  alot of my friends with carpets.  I like to
spread the carpet and let it air out for a while, then I cut it to the whelping
box
size and store it. But this is just my opinion for what it is worth.   Brenda
Piele