[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [amergsd] Standard Illustrated

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:03:00 EDT

I do think the rear should be expressed a little longer, but the standard
also says something to the effect that all long bones should be much the same
length, making the rear the same size as the front, thus the illustration as it
is.
----------------------------------
From the standard:
"The upper thigh bone parallels the shoulder blade while the lower thigh bone
parallels the upper arm. "
It is not my intention to single anyone out.  I do think though, that too
often people refer to their memory, rather than the standard itself, as they
draw
conclusions about what the breed should be.  The only words in the standard
that compare front to rear are the ones above.  They are referring to angle,
and not at all to the length of the bones.

In my opinion, the old Illustrated Standard needs work, and the illustrations
for the recent attempt to do that were faulty.  An illustrator for a project
like that must have one of two traits.  They should either have an unbiased
desire to interpret the standard as correctly as possible into pictures,
working
openly with the committee, or they should have no knowledge of the breed at
all, and then follow the instructions given by the committee to the letter as
they do their work.  It is as unlikely that someone with a bias against any
specific group of dogs could draw the standard, as it is for any one of us who
believes our dog is "correct" to admit that someone else's dog is the better
example of the standard.

All I can say is that I believe everyone should get out copies of the
standard and study.  Don't just read the words. Try to understand why the
various
parts are what they are.  If you can do that, you will gain a real
understanding
of what the breed is intended to be.

Tom Langlitz