[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [amergsd] Standard Illustrated

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:08:26 -0700 (PDT)

I have avoided this thread because I thought I didn't care.  But now I will say
what I have to say on this subject.  And no more.

  While I do prefer longer rears than the illustration, I feel overall it is a
very good representation of the breed standard.  It expresses the proper
angulation, and both top line and croup I would breed for, wait, I am breeding
for, along with a front, IMVHO, I think we should all be breeding for.

  I have 2 dogs here that I don't show because of the fronts on both.

  While the illustrator may or may not truly love our dogs, the rendering is
overall very good, IMHO, I do think the rear should be expressed a little
longer, but the standard also says something to the effect that all long bones
should be much the same length, making the rear the same size as the front,
thus the illustration as it is.

  We all prefer a longer rear, but I did not like many of the fronts I saw
until recently, I feel, again IMHO, that fronts have improved tremendously in
the past coulpe of years, making Liddy a more competitive dog, not such an
outstanding dog.  I took her for her front, the rest matches it very well, IMHO.

  So, in the long run I agree with the illustrations, but I have my own
preferences as we all do.  So if the Standard is the only measuring stick you
want to use, yes, there are changes to be made in 'our' dogs.  But if you,
like, I think, all of us, use the Standard as a basis for comparison with other
dogs of the same breed, then the subjective comes into play, and that is ok, it
is what makes it a dog show!

  In conclusing, yes I am almost done, if you got this far, the illustrations
are fine by me.
  sheila
Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Every time I click on our Standard that picture comes up..that is the point I
THINK Terry is trying to make. If the illustration and written Standard don't
jive then it would make sense that something is changed and I assume it's the
illustration that everyone thinks is incorrect.

I think that's been discussed a billion times before on this list, but I still
dont' understand why we have a illustration that shows our dogs from 3 decades
ago.

Cindy
Ginger Cleary wrote:
I would hope we aren't. I would hope we are using the WRITTEN Standard.

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the
most oppressive. C.S.Lewis

www.rihadin.com

My Ebay site